Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Don't be mad

How did September 29-February 10th occur in one eye blink? Because my last post detailed some heartwarming memories that had already begun to fade, I will document some forget-me-nots from the winter months:

I need to make Dexter a t-shirt that reads, "Don't be mad!"  This is his refrain following frequent bouts of creative experimentation.  This phrase came in handy for Dex after he sneaked out of bed the other night and used copious amounts of water to "give penguin a bath" which more accurately resembled Noah's flood.  The scene of the crime, of course, was Fletcher's bathroom since the water to Dexter's sink has long since been turned off to avoid a sequel to the first Dextonian flood of 2013.  That's right.  Dexter is a repeat offender when it comes to bathroom floods.  Fortunately, he has kept his mischief confined to sinks and bath tubs so far and has not seen fit to use the toilet in any of his flooding events.

The funny thing is, I truly do not get mad about this....anymore.  At first, his schemes were met with some ire, but somehow there is something so precious and intriguing about Dexter's curiosity-driven, hands-on, let's-see-what-happens-if... approach to life, even when it comes at a great inconvenience to the condition of our home or the thickness of our wallet.  I fall victim to the amusement of Dexter's antics, often giggling when it is the least parental response I can offer.  But he is just so darn lovable that I can't help but laugh with him at the bemusing ideas he dreams up.

He seems to be bound by duty to splash in every puddle, stomp on every snow clump, and kick through every dirt pile in his path.  I admire his dedication to that creed.   I guarantee I have left too many puddles unsplashed and too many snow drifts unsmashed in my lifetime.  But not Dexter - he seizes the moment.  I often wish I could hear the words of that voice in his head that whispers the eccentric, amusing ideas that Dexter lives out daily.  Only Dex can make warming his penis by the fireplace seem like a perfectly logical idea.  He makes my soul smile.

After I finish making Dexter's t-shirt I need to purchase a giant foam finger for Fletcher, the consummate fan of every competitive event known to mankind. And he always picks a favorite.  Every NFL game had a hard core fan cheering desperately for one team.  And once you win Fletcher's affection, your every move is scrutinized and announced play-by-play with all the dramatic passion Fletcher's four year old self could muster.  The angst and disbelief he displayed when the other team would score was worthy of air-time on an NFL commercial.  Don't even get him started on the Missouri Tigers basketball team.  He will call out the score with each point exchange and loudly lament any deficit the Tigers may face.  My favorite cheering from Fletcher happens on the soccer field.  His genuine joy at each goal scored by his team is celebrated by two fists pumping the air and the familiar growling yell, "Yeah", as he goes hopping back to the half line, hoping to do it all over again.  His score keeping has almost become the official record.  He announces an updated score after each goal, declaring in agony a score lopsided in his opponent's favor or innocently yelling his team's superior score in jubilation.  The exercise-induced endorphin rush makes Fletcher the most loving, happy kid that can't help but lavish his whole family with hugs and "I love you"s.  He makes my heart happy.

To follow up the foam finger purchase, I will put the finishing touches on Crosby's new wrestling singlet.  His relentless pursuit to tackle Fletcher, Dexter and Scott is epic and every pin is accompanied by Crosby's growling, squealing delight.  He may have carried his physicality too far though, as his girlfriends in the church nursery loudly voiced their complaints this last Sunday.  He is expanding his repertoire at home to include new moves from the standing position such as the elbow drop.  He toys with you by teetering dangerously over you until he comes crashing down atop his victim and gives a victory squeal.  Crosby can get Dexter to tap out instantly by using his go-to move: the slobbering, drool-on-your-face hold.  My personal favorite part of Crosby's attack, however, is the cuddle-pin.  He can easily be persuaded to transition a vicious hold into the sweetest baby snuggle your heart can imagine.  He makes my spirit soar.

Now for some straight up bragging!  Crosby is so stinking observant.  He tracks Fletcher as he runs around the soccer field from where he watches with Scott up in the balcony.  Tonight he noticed another 1-ish year old boy across the restaurant and was so fascinated to watch him walk around and talk all throughout the meal.  He even waved hello to the other boy when I asked him to wave.  He also has such a great sense of humor.  I absolutely adore his giggles when I kiss his hand while he is nursing.  He pauses to giggle, then waits in anticipation for another kiss which elicits another giggle.  And he continues to think he is such a comedian when he reaches for his dirty diaper area during a change.  He is clapping, waving, standing, and oh-so-close to walking.  I absolutely adore the proud look he wears as he flies around the house hanging onto the back of his push toy.  But the biggest heart-melter was a few nights ago as I was putting him to bed and he was singing in my arms, "ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma".  I replay it over and over in my mind.

Now for some Dexter boasting.  He was kicking the soccer ball around before Fletcher's first indoor practice last week and Fletcher's coach, Michael, noticed and asked how old he was.  He invited Dexter to practice with the older boys that night.  Aside from his obvious athletic prowess, I am also impressed with what Dexter has learned at school.  He can count to ten and sing all his school songs and name all his shapes and colors, but he is also a great helper.  He earned a star sticker today for cleaning up his mess.  Ms. Allison pointed out he was the only one to do this.  He is so creative with his play and his words.  His silliness is constantly making us giggle and gawk at his cleverness.  And even more than that, I love how Dexter is such a peacemaker.  Whenever I get angry or upset by something that happens at home, he runs over to give me a kiss and let me know it's okay.  Sweet, sweet child!

Fletch-man has been hard at work.  He is reading like a boss since finishing his reading lessons last month.  He can also count to 100 by 1's, 5's, and 10's and tie his shoes.  He memorized our phone number and address months ago too.  I love his inquisitive nature and his desire to learn.  He has turned into quite the soccer fiend as well!  He scored 6 goals last weekend, which prompted him to announce to Scott (during the game) that he made a double hat trick.  His coaches say he is "an animal" and invited him to play on a team this spring with select players who are going to play up an age group.  His skills really stand out at his basketball camp too.  Fletcher's interest in competing is evident by his thoughtfulness about the game days in advance, constantly asking questions about the opposing team's ability and talking about how much he hopes his team wins.  He is constantly thinking about the game! His success may be giving him confidence because he has turned into Mr. Adventurous and took a flying leap on to the sled on a solo trip down the giant Coves sledding hill.  I think he sprouted three chest hairs that day.

I know I should be fired if I didn't say this, but I have the world's greatest kids!!

No comments:

Post a Comment